Thursday, January 21, 2010

What do I do?


Live Music Scene - Images by Erica Stavis

In the last month i've wrestled with trying to re-design my website to truly showcase the work I do best. I have so many different photos and my strategy thus far has been to shoot and post everything that I think is decent. Last week my friend/teacher Owen Murphy sat with me and gave me some advice on how to re-invision my site and re-think how I edit my galleries. At the MVS lecture last month I was also reminded that users should immediately get a feel for the kind of work that I do.

Knowing that my site is a smorgasbord of galleries each with a surplus of images i've begun the process of trying to streamline and edit the work on my site. Before I go and slash slash away i'm thinking I need to categorize the genres i'm strong in. So far i'm thinking:

  • Live Music
  • Street Portraits
  • Parades & Second Lines
  • Festival Culture
I want to make sure that each category is distinct enough to house a series of photos that look unique. I've taken a stab at editing my gallery in the 'Live Music' category and have it showcased on my homepage and embedded as a slideshow at the top of this post. The question is...will people see these photos and say...wow those are some sick shots!

After a long talk last night i've also decided to explore some other Photo Template sites that might showcase my galleries better.....more on that later.

No comments:

Post a Comment