Wednesday, November 11, 2009

Beer: in studio vs. in bar




In an anxious attempt to use my new studio lights I set up my beer shoot (for local magazine) in the spare bedroom of my house. My editor mentioned she wanted an isolated shot of "a beer" using a Nola Brewery pint glass, so I figured a studio setting would work best. Never having used my lights before and/or shooting glass (a tricky feat) I set up my lights and began shooting. Because I don't have a true studio with a proper background and table I tried a few different shots to make the beer look frothy and cold. The beers looked good but the whole image was super boring, so I decided to hit the bar thinking that my editor would change her mind about an isolated beer and go for the more natural bar setting for the background. I went over to Balcony Bar (closest bar to my house) and used their vast beer tap collection as a backdrop. I've attached one shot from each series to the post. Wonder which setting my editor will prefer. What'ya think?

1 comment:

  1. A good trick to make glass look cold, is to show condensation. Get a spray bottle and just spritz water on it. Then you will get the "sweaty" bottle effect that evokes the feel of an icy beverage. I like the shot in the envioronment better.
    -tracey

    ReplyDelete