Tuesday, November 17, 2009

Pictures of People Doing Things = Lifestyle Photography


It seems as though the commercial category for "photos of people doing things that they would normally do" is called lifestyle photography. For a long time i've been struggling with categorizing my photos and figuring out the best way to display them as sets. Using PhotoShelter is a blessing and a curse because of the flexibility I have with creating new galleries, or 'sets' of images. Sometimes I look at images and think......should this be in the people set, the entertainment set, the portrait set, or all of them? For instance, an image that has a particular commercial appeal might not have that same appeal in a gallery labeled "Travel: Italy" like this image. Knowing that most people don't last beyond the first few images of a gallery, especially ones that house hundreds of photos. Ive recently created a new gallery titled Lifestyle Gallery, which showcases some of the works that might not get as much credit because they're lumped in travel or event galleries with tons of other images. I guess at this point, I want to make my website as visitor friendly as possible and keep switching up the images on my homepage to make people view more and more of my photos. Is it better to show tons of photos from a variety of categories on my site or limit the scope so it seems as though i specialize in one area? Any insight from my followers?

3 comments:

  1. As an AD who has bought tons of stock photos, I like the offbeat path of lifestyle gallery. I know that I always wanted more pics of "hip" young pp. They're hard to find in stock. It can be a nice niche for you.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I like the idea of seeing a variety of photos showcased, although I can understand the appeal of showing that you specialize in one specific category.

    ReplyDelete