Friday, February 12, 2010

Rainy Days...Saints Parade...lenses...zicam...


Sample Saints Parade - Images by Erica Stavis

Note to reader...this entry is a meandering mess...sorry

Rainy days......last nights rescheduling of Muses was a bummer. The weather continues to suck and is putting a bit of a damper on all the Mardi Gras Festivities. I'm fighting a throat cold and need someone to go to Walgreen's and get me some Zicam stat.

The Saints parade was cold and took a while to get underway...but fun nonethe less. Shai and I met some interesting characters in the crowd, as always. (which looking back now, is prob how I got got sick, swigging of their bottle of *?!?&!) *some of my students might read this . Earlier that day I headed over to Lakeside Camera to by a flash diffuser (before the floats make travelling anywhere a mess) for all the sick parties going on this weekend.

While I was there I checked out some lenses. Since I booked this wedding gig in the spring Ive been obsessively thinking thinking about which lenses Ill need to purchase/rent so that I have the wedding covered. (more on rentals in another post soon) On a side note I walked into Rue De La Course the other day and a girl sitting outside mentioned that she checked out my site after I posted the Mod Dance Party Pics on Facebook. It was def. cool to have someone be like "are you Erica, I checked out your site..blah blah blah..."She mentioned that she was a photographer too. Check out some of her work on Flickr here. The reason I mention this is because I realized, after attending a friends wedding in NYC this past weekend, that I will most likely need an assistant/second shooter for this weekend in the spring. Trying to get Linda (that's her name) the gig if I can get the bride to throw in some $$ to hire another shooter.

Anyway, back to lenses, while I was at Lakeside Cam I checked out a few lenses that I would love to purchase but obv. cant afford , and realized that I really need to make the jump and purchase a new cam first, with a full sensor. Scott, the man who helped me (who incidentally is also a photographer)....check out his new site I heart NOLA here. was mentioning that he wants to wait for a new full frame sensor model with a better build than the 5D Mark II., but I'm feeling pretty anxious. I'm desperate for a full frame cam but maybe I should wait. All the lenses on the full frame have such a broader scope and capture so much more of the surrounding scene which I think is something that's been somewhat lacking in my shots. I would love to be able to work with two bodies (full & cropped) this way I can capture each scene in a different way.

I shot the Saints parade with my 50D with a 17 - 40 F4 lens and popped on a fixed 50 /F 1.8 for a bit. The extra stops really helped and I was able to shoot without my flash which in my opinion is aways better. Check out a few shots in the slide show on top of this post. One of the images is a combination of two crowd shots shot from almost from the same vantage but with two very different lighting looks. Check it....and comment as always.

Tonight...Muses...DJ Starkey @ one eyed jacks......spellcaster.....etc, as always stay posted for pics. Ill prob post them in the archive section of my new customized website...check it here



No comments:

Post a Comment